How to Silence Notifications in WhatsApp
- Open WhatsApp and head to Settings > Notifications.
- You can uncheck the Conversation tones box to silence all message sounds. However, this is likely too drastic of a step for most people.
- Under the Message notifications and Group notifications headers, you’ll see separate entries for the notification tone, vibration, and popup notification options.
- If you want to mute group chats but keep notifications for one-on-one messages, tap Notification tone under Group notifications and set None as the sound. This will still show notifications for new messages, but won’t make a sound.
- To temporarily mute one chat instead, open the chat and tap the three-dot Menu button in the upper-right. Select Mute notifications, and you can silence them for 8 hours, a week, or a year. You can also choose to show the notifications while keeping them muted.
How to Silence Notifications in Telegram
- Open Telegram, slide out the left menu, and go to Settings > Notifications and Sounds.
- Here, you’ll find similar separate sections for Message notifications and Group notifications.
- You can disable the notification altogether by disabling the Alert slider. Tap Sound and change it to None to silence notifications for group chats instead.
- To mute notifications for a particular chat, tap the three-dot Menu button in the chat and choose Mute notifications. Select to mute them for an hour, 8 hours, 2 days, or until you decide otherwise.